April 23, 2018
Dinner Table Topics:
- What type of government system did your ancient civilization have?
- Who were key leaders of your ancient civilization?
- What activities have you been working on during your ELA workshop?
PARENT DRIVERS NEEDED: The Food Bank Service Learning group is in need of parent drivers. We will have to cancel Wednesday if we don’t have enough. Please click here if you’re available to drive on Wednesday afternoons!
QUAIL RIDGE AUTHOR VISIT: The New York Times bestelling author, Kwame Alexander, is back with Rebound. In signature verse accompanied by striking graphic novel panels, this prequel to the 2015 Newbery Award-winning novel, The Crossover, explores the early life of Chuck “Da Man” Bell, when he discovers basketball and his family’s history. We are so excited to for this event! We recommend this book for ages 10+. Receive a signing line ticket with a QRB purchase of Rebound. We are not reserving seats for this event. Click here for more information!
Event date: Thursday, April 26, 2018 – 5:00pm at Quail Ridge Books
MANY, MANY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! PLEASE HELP! Thank you to everyone who has signed up to proctor for our Revised Testing dates. We still need more proctors. Right now, our highest needs are on May 30 for the Reading EOG at the Middle School and on May 31st for the Math EOG at BOTH campuses. Those are the days on which we have the most students 3-8 testing! You are welcome to share with grandmas and grandpas as well! SIGN UP HERE!
Dear Exploris community,
In our service learning we have been working with the Saints Saviors Center to help the disenfranchised members of our community by serving meals, collecting canned goods, and packing diapers. The Diaper Train is a program to help working parents of young children who can’t afford diapers.
We are kicking off a Diaper Drive to help these families! Please consider donating:
- 6th graders to provide size 4 diapers
- 7th graders to provide size 5 diapers
- 8th graders to provide size 6 diapers
Other sizes are greatly appreciated too, but these sizes are in the greatest need as most donations tend to be for small babies. Drop off spots will be outside of Sixth West, Seventh Grade will be outside of the teachers office and the last spot will be in the Eighth Grade hallway. This diaper dive will continue until Saturday May 5th…Monday, May 8th we will announce the winner! The winning grade that donates the most diapers will either receive a pizza lunch or a Krispy Kreme breakfast!
The Helping Hands Service Learning
Friday Cleaning Volunteers Needed: Help keep our classrooms clean and germ-free!!! This is a great way to get your monthly volunteer hours in. We would like 2 volunteers a week to help with disinfecting and cleaning our two classroom spaces! This would take 20-25 minutes after school on Fridays. Sign up here if you can help!
YEARBOOKS FOR SALE Click here to purchase your 2017-2018 yearbook; It’s not too late! They are $40.
Homework – Weekly Requirements:
Important Dates (Exploris CALENDAR)
Friday, May 25 – Teacher Workday
Monday, May 28- Memorial Day Holiday
Friday, June 8 – End of Third Trimester/Early Dismissal at 12:15pm
How to Contact Current Sixth Grade Teachers:
Loren Kent email@example.com
Devon Rose firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawna Scipione email@example.com
Juliana Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org
Scarlet Fisher: Art email@example.com
Eugene Wheeler: World Cultures firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Ferrando : Health & Wellness email@example.com
Parent and Teacher Organization
- Join PTO – much, much help still needed! LINK
- 2017-2018 Carpool FORM; 2017-2018 Carpool MAP (Password: 1997*)
- Lunch Orders – LINK
Clubs and Extended Care:
- Allies – Mary McWay
- Before and Afterschool Program – Michelle Parkerson
- Cross Country (Aug-Oct) –Tom Simmons, Sharon Cuffe
- Crossfit – Chenelle Miller firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contemporary Art Museum docents – Shawna Scipione
- Comic Book Club – Sharon Cuffe
- Science Olympiad – Helene and Emily
- Fossil Club –Juliana Thomas
- Coding Club (January-March) – Mike Ames (parent)
- MathCounts club – Remi Wingo
- Minecraft (Sept-May)– Jenn Quirk
- Model U.N. – Cori Greer-Banks
- Improv (Nov-Jan) – Jeri Donovan Livengood
- Soccer (Jan-Mar) – Shannon Hardy
- Yearbook – Jessie
- Ultimate Frisbee – ???
- Dungeons & Dragons – Leah Perry
- Student Ambassadors – Paula Mancini
- Battle of the Books – Devon and Loren
- Japanese Exchange (August Visit) –Tom Simmons, Michelle Parkerson